About The Al Thani Collection
The Al Thani Collection Foundation is a non-profit organisation whose core mission is to advance and promote art and culture. This objective is principally delivered through public art initiatives including sponsorships, museum projects, the staging of exhibitions and academic publications, honouring artistic achievement across a rich diversity of cultures.
The Al Thani Collection is an encyclopaedic holding of more than 6,000 works of art spanning from the ancient world to the present day. The collection celebrates history and creativity through an exceptional holding of antiquities, jewels, paintings, manuscripts and ancient and historic works of art.
Exhibitions are staged at major institutions around the world: recent venues include The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York (2015); The Victoria and Albert Museum, London (2015-16); the Miho Museum, Koka (2016); the Palace Museum, Beijing (2017); the Grand Palais, Paris (2017); the Doge’s Palace, Venice (2017-18); Château de Fontainebleau (2018); and the Legion of Honour, San Francisco (2018). In addition items from the collection are also regularly loaned to museums; recent loans have been shown at, among others, the Ashmolean Museum, Oxford; British Museum, London; Cleveland Museum of Art, Cleveland; J. Paul Getty Museum, Los Angeles; Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York; Museum of Fine Art, Boston; State Hermitage Museums, St. Petersburg; State Museum of Egyptian Art, Munich; and Victoria and Albert Museum, London.
In Spring 2020, The Al Thani Collection Foundation will open a museum space at the Hôtel de la Marine. Located on Place de la Concorde in the heart of Paris, the space provides for the long-term display of works drawn from across the entire Collection. The 400m2 gallery will host a permanent exhibition alongside a programme of themed shows. The Hôtel de la Marine is one of two palaces commissioned by Louis XV in the 18th century to adorn the royal square. Designed by Ange-Jacques Gabriel, First Architect of the King, it was built between 1757 and 1774 and originally served as the Garde-meuble de la Couronne, the repository for the French Royal Collections.