The collection

The Agra

Cut-cornered, rectangular mixed-cut fancy intense pink diamond
H. 1.8cm; W. 1.7cm

The distinctive, delicate colour combined with its considerable size makes this diamond extremely unusual. The true origins and history of the Agra diamond are not known, although it is thought to have been acquired by the first Mughal emperor Babur in 1526 and that it was smuggled to England in 1857.

The first verifiable reference to the Agra diamond appears in the 1860 catalogue of the jewels owned by the Duke of Brunswick. The diamond has been recut over time, thereby reducing its weight along the way.

View this piece at the Grand Palais exhibition – From the Great Mughals to the Maharajas: Jewels from The Al Thani Collection